Thursday, February 23, 2006

When I'm done with school we're moving to California

Item from Yuma's Daily Sun re: new bill in AZ state legislature that would allow community college students to 'opt out' of reading materials they found offensive.

Just when I'm actually starting to think I might someday have this job, the legislature wants to go and take all the fun out of it. And here I thought the exact point of higher education (if not education in general) was to expose people to new and different viewpoints, since at some point or another they will be forced to confront them in the "real world."

Try to ignore how poorly written the article is and just focus on what it's saying. How broad is this going to be? Can a religious bio student opt out of reading about evolution? Can a student opt out of linguistics or sociology if they are offended by the fact that those studies acknowledge the existence of US racial class?

Devil's advocate argument re: wy I might actually want to support such a law:

I'm offended by animal cruelty. Does this mean I don't have to read Moby Dick?


Though, to be completely honest, what's really offensive about Moby Dick is just how damn boring the thing is.

1 comment:

Diana said...

I find that comment offensive. I think I'll opt out of reading this blog.