Thursday, April 20, 2006

Every Country Has Problems With Education

The prime minister of Australia is so upset about schools teaching the postmodern approach to literature that he's considering tying funding to the elimnation of such practices.

I can barely even wrap my head around this. I don't actually have anything against postmodern discussion of literature, but I guess I would generally say it's a bit much for high school. There are so many things about this story that just don't make sense to me as an American. For instance, in most American high schools we're lucky if all the classes can even read Shakespeare. Bonus points if they understand it, and nevermind interpretation postmodern or otherwise.

So, there's some dissonance to realize that in Australia the prime minister can get worked up over how literature is being taught, while here we're more concerned with if it is at all. But the most dissonant thing about this story is to try to imagine the President of the United States even trying to pronounce "postmodern."

No comments: