Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I can stop whenever I want!

I have never used crack cocaine. I have never used methamphetamines. I have never used heroin.

But I do watch “24.”

As with a drug addict, it’s something that a sensible person might not admit in polite company – to those who he hopes will think highly of him.

As with a drug addict, I know 24 is bad for me. It’s painful while experiencing it and the resulting guilt is nauseating. But it’s an addiction. I can go off it here and there, if necessary. I can even rationalize that it would be better to not watch it altogether, lest its seductive wiles work their charm on me yet again.

But I am an addict. I am weak. I’m watching.

This show is awful, ridiculous, even disgusting in the way that appeals to the most violent and ugly of human emotions. It’s sometimes badly written, the plots are convoluted, and ever since season one the ridiculousness factor has increased exponentially.

As art, it's awful. As politics, it's awful. As suspense, it's awful.

But. I. Can’t. Stop. Watching.

Which I guess means it's fucking great TV.

3 comments:

Lisa Armsweat said...

I saw Season 1 on DVD (which was good b/c I could watch several episodes in one sitting without the spectre of 'suspense' looming over me for weeks at a time). I liked it.
But then I tried to watch Season 2 and I just didn't care anymore. It was like, "How can this one guy have so many bad days?" And then I heard Young Bauer Blonde Girl got attacked by a mountain lion; and I officially gave up. I just didn't have the strength to follow such a storyline through.
But you have a choice here. You can quit!
BE STRONG! It's not that good a show. There are other awesome things to watch, just change the channel. Jack Bauer is a DOUCHE, and so are the writers-- douchebags, the whole lot o' them!

You'll miss it for a little while when you first quit, but you'll love the end result. You might find more time to read books about girls and their blowjobbin' habits. :)

Anonymous said...

You're turning into a Republican, Matt! Gasp!

You can quit, and you can start by watching LOST and loving it. Down with Bauer!

Matthew said...

It's the democrat in me that is why I hate 24. The side of me that's addicted isn't Republican ... it just likes a good cliffhanger.

Anyway, if I ever finish this review of Munich you'll be cured of the urge to call me that hateful word henceforth.