Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Mountaintop



Martin Luther King Day was Monday and I meant to post this then, but I didn't.

This is a tiny bit taken from the end of one of MLK's most famous speeches, usually referred to as the "I've been to the mountaintop speech," which he gave on April 3, 1968. That is, one day before he was shot and killed.

"I have a dream" is a more famous speech, a more significant one. But it's maybe too famous. We all know it so well that it's impact is lessened; worse yet, King's whole memory is wrapped up in it, which is a shame because the MLK I try to think of is the man who has been to the mountaintop. A religious man, a man who fought the power but remained true to his mission of fighting in a non-violent way. A man who was arrested, harrassed, beaten, and still swore never to fight with fists or weapons, but merely his words. A man who, despite that, was murdered anyway.

I've been writing up a thing about the movie "Munich," which I saw last week but seems to haunt me with every new thing I see or think about -- MLK, 24, even James Frey.

These words ... even just reading them can make me choke up. For a brief while during their 2001 tour, U2 played part of this speech during "Pride," and it was utter genius, devastating, sublime.

Martin Luther King, April 3, 1968. Memphis, TN:

"Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it really doesn't matter with me now, because I've been to the mountaintop.

And I don't mind.

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land!"

No comments: