Friday, April 15, 2005

Old

I'm old.

Forgive me for that, first of all. I know most you who might ever read this are actually older than me, I've always been among the youngest of my friends. But I'm not talking chronologically here. Most 24 year-olds are not old. I am on my way crotchety-old-man-bent-over-his-cane-yelling-through-his-dentures-at-those-darn-kids-to-keep-it-down-so-he-can-sleep-already-damn-it status by the time I'm 26. Or, put another way, I just can't party like a rock star anymore. Well, let's be clear that I never in my life have actually partied like a rock star. But I'm nonethless pretty sure there was a time when I could have.

Last night I went to the U2 show at Glendale Arena, which started at 8, and I was yawning before the band even took the stage. There were moment during the show when I found myself noticing that I was tired, or hungry, or found myself thinking I could use a bottle of water. That is so not rock star. We didn't sit down from the time the lights went down until it was all over and we'd walked back to the car, which speaks highly of the show, but sadly meant my feet were sore and my back ached and I really wished my wife was with me so I could have had someone rub my shoulders. So not rock star. And then I didn't get home until 12:45 and felt like hell then and felt even worse this morning.

It's not just the staying up late because while D sleeps next to me I'll often stay up reading or writing or watching a movie until midnight or later. But it turns out it takes a lot more energy to stand through a concert and sing along than it does to sit in bed. Maybe that seems like an obvious point, but I swear when I was 22 it was easier to be up than it was to be in bed. What the hell happened in two years? Two little years!?!

The upshot is, despite having a good time last night and being excited to go back and see the show again - and even though I have cheap, good tickets for tonight's show - I woke up this morning feeling like, "Nope, not doing that again." If there were actually anyone besides me in the office today I might have tried to sell the tickets. (Maybe it's just as well no one is around because as I am slowly waking up more and more, the more interested I am in using those tickets tonight.)

Oh, and my ears are not ringing exactly, but everything is just slightly on the fuzzy side. And let me tell you, it's quiet enough in this office when more than half the people are out, but it's truly ridiculous when everything I should be able to hear is fuzzy.

Damn kids and this obscene noise they call rock music.

No comments: