Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Denver Part Two

I could just go on posting pictures of Denver in this blog and never do anything else, but I'll try to limit it to this. For now anyway.

I was hoping to be able to show you some pictures we actually took on this most recent vacation to my native land, but alas my wife ran off to California with my camera. More than likely when she gets back she'll post pictures from both trips.

On Saturday, I decided Diana needed to see Estes Park and more specifically the Stanley Hotel. The Stanley (apart from being very old and famous as a historic place) is best known as the place where Stephen King was staying when he wrote The Shining, which is a book I have some very strong feelings about but I'll spare you all that for now. Anyway, the hotel in the book is called The Overlook but it's based very clearly on The Stanley, which is itself said to be haunted. We even broke the rules and snuck up to the second floor so we could get a picture of Room 217 (where King was staying and the Overlook's most notorious room). Anyway, since I don't have any of the pictures we took, here's a decent shot of the hotel I found elsewhere.



Another thing I miss about Colorado is a local pizza chain called Beau Jo's. They make tremendous thick crust pizza with really thick edges. The dough is made with a touch of honey and they also provide bottles of honey at your table to put on your crust while eating. We took Diana there Friday night and sadly our service was pretty awful, but the pizza was still top notch. This is a small picture, but I hope you'll be able to get the idea about how fabulous these "mountain pies" are.



Here we have a lovely overhead shot of Boulder, home to the main campus of the University of Colorado (that's it in most of the buildings at the bottom). Boulder is one of the prettiest little towns you'll find anywhere. It was also cited in a government study as a place with an extremely high rate of marijuana use. That's right: the government paid someone to do a study that found that marijuana use is higher in college towns. But I digress.



This last one is for Erin. I found a few good pictures of in-the-flesh haven't-bathed-in-weeks Boulder hippies but then I found this and to me it really says Boulder more than even the actual city photo I posted above. This guy is a one man band on Pearl Street (an outdoor mall in Boulder). I just gotsta get me some of those shorts!

No comments: