Wednesday, June 29, 2005

This I Believe

This is an interesting place to do some light reading.

I swear when I refer you to this link I'm not shilling for the company that employs me, which also happens to be a sponsor of the series. A lot of these essays are good. Even the ones that piss me off.

Because my employer sponsors and promotes it and because I listen to NPR more than is strictly healthy, I've been hearing these for a few months now. Then Diana found something about it in the Sunday paper and has since made it her mission to get me to write one. I'm editing it now, and once it's done I'll post it here. I hope Diana will, too. And anyone else.

I think the most interesting thing about writing one of these essays is the very first step. What do you believe? It's a hard question. Especially when you know you should focus on just one thing, and you have o more than 500 words to explain yourself. What do I believe? Lots of things, really. I believe in competition and live music and friends. I believe in the awesomeness of Nature and also in science. I believe in laughter and I think I at least want to believe in the basic goodness of most people. Then again, I also believe that you can't go home again. I believe in the dark side, not the one George Lucas made famous but the one in all of us.

Of all these beliefs and all the hundreds more I didn't think to name just now, what really defines me? What do you think of when you think of me? A better question: What do I think of when I think of me?

I'll try to get my essay edited and up by the end of the day.

No comments: