Thursday, September 15, 2005

Painful Secrets From My Past

Lisa wrote recently about a dance class she took in college, and it reminded me of this story, but I felt like it was too long and too embarassing to be posted as a comment on her blog. So here ya go.

Part of my fourth grade phys ed was a month or so of dancing. As you might suspect, I remember very little of the dancing, but I remember all too well the terror of lining up in single sex lines and then finding your parter across the way, in the line of girls. Of course, there was always shuffling and rearranging so that you wouldn't have to dance with that guy or so that you could dance with that girl if you wanted.

Fourth grade was the first time I ever had a crush on a girl and one day I looked over and realized she was set up to be my partner. I might have thanked the graceful hand of fate, or noticed that she had switched spots with a girl next to her so she could be my partner. I might have been flattered. Instead, I simply panicked, swicthed places with my friend Sean. The girls switched again. Sean and I switched again.

Naturally, the girl I had a crush on completely misunderstood and thought that I must not like her at all. She didn't talk to me for weeks, which sucked, and by the time we got to be friends again the school year was over and her family moved to Pennsylvania before fifth grade started.

So, as you can see, my skills with the ladies have always been consistent.

Consistently mediocre, that is.

1 comment:

Lisa Armsweat said...

Thanks for the shout-out. And your story is embarassing, to be sure!

I asked this guy Mike to dance in seventh grade at a 1950s-themed dance (I even had on a poodle skirt and everything, like a massive dork), and his response was a loud and resounding, "NO WAY!!" that made the kids in earshot (about 40 at a guess) all crack up laughing. I think I ran and hid in the bathroom with my best friend Kristen until one of our Moms picked us up.

Dances and dancing SUCK!