Tuesday, August 23, 2005

9,131

That is how many days old I am, as of today, which is my 25th birthday. Really doesn't seem like such a big number, does it?

So, as far as I know all the people who read this blog are actually older than I am. Fret not, aged ones, for I am not about to bemoan that having been alive a quarter of a century makes me feel old. (Though it is stranger than I expected. Because everyone I know is older, even if only by a few months, by the time my birthday rolls around I tend to feel like I've already been that age for a while. I've been telling people I am 25 for months, and yet today when my Dad emailed to say how he couldn't believe it, I found I couldn't either.)

But - happily - I don't feel old today. I feel like - wow! I'm still only 25!

Maybe it strikes me as novel because I'm living a life that is older than what I expected to be living -- married, settled, etc. I never had a "life plan" but I surely didn't expect all this only 3 years out of college. Couldn't be happier, though.

Then there are the other things that annoy me about getting older. True, I'm still in this pointless and obnoxious job and I don't know when I'll be able to go back to schoolto actually go after the career I want. But then again, I know two 25 year-olds who are just this year going back to school themselves. And, as noted above, I am by far the youngest person in the class I'm taking. I'm the youngest person in my office. Anyway, I'm in a good mood today. Though I am trying to keep reminding myself more that John Irving didn't get published until he was 28, and forget that damned Bret Easton Ellis did it when he was like ... 19 or something. That little prick.

EDIT: Oh, there's also that other reason to be happy ... (cue angels singing)

No comments: