Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Know Your Limits

I have often wondered if I in fact ingesting so much caffeine that it might kill me. Thankfully, I've found this Web site to let me know just how much peril I'm in.

Apparently, it would take 248.18 cans of my chosen poison (Mountain Dew) to put me under. Disappointingly, the Web site offers no information about what sort of time period I would have to drink all that Mountain dew in for it to be lethal. I'm no longer worried about overdosing, but I'm still thinking I should cut back.

EDIT: Found the answer to my question. "The number of cans/bottles/etc the calculator gives you assumes you can drink it all immediately, or one-after-another. Physical limitations mean that you probably can’t drink enough of anything to kill you, but you can certainly start freaking out, hallucinating, go into shock or seizure, all sorts of cool things. Many people have correctly pointed out that the liquid capacity, or sugar contents, or any number of other things would probably prevent you from ingesting that much caffeine."

1 comment:

Diana said...

Momentarily let's forget about the caffeine you ingest every day and talk about the calories. I've seen you easily drink 3 cans of MD a day - and that's probably an underestimate because that's not including the 32-44 oz. fountain drinks I know you go get at work. So.... 150 calories a can, 3 cans a day... 365 days a year... Thats 164,250 calories you're drinking every year. Figure that 3,500 cals. makes up a pound, and that's 47 pounds a year you're gaining/not losing by drinking Mountain Dew.

And THAT is why Splenda is my friend.