Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Plenty of nothing

Well, it’s happened. After a great start in the first few days that gave me a nice cushion, I have now actually fallen behind the pace for NaNoWriMo. I’m still not far behind and I probably shouldn’t worry too much about the actual day-to-day word count but then again this deal is short enough that there’s no luxury time to catch up once you get behind, especially considering distraction such as Thanksgiving, etc coming up.

I’ve several problems with getting it done but strangely most of the problems aren’t to do with the book itself: I’m very uncertain about the story but I think that this was a good choice for a book to write quickly and without thought. The problem is just actually writing.

First came the weekend trip to California. I did at least get the computer out on Saturday afternoon. I think I wrote about a paragraph. But then Sunday on the drive home I had many hours to think about the story and got a little done that night. But I didn’t write at all Monday or yesterday. Tuesdays and Thursdays are what should be my most productive days, but yesterday I didn’t do anything after work but watch some TV and try to clean the house (to pathetically little effect). Life, unfortunately, distracts from writing and while I know the whole point of the month is to let your home fall to shambles around you while you get some writing done … I just can’t do it. My other problem is that generally I prefer to write at night, especially late at night, after Diana has gone to sleep and I’m in bed with the laptop. But the past few nights I’ve actually chosen to go to sleep at a decent hour. So … maybe it is the book after all and I’m just avoiding doing the writing. I don’t know. I’m very conflicted about the story but I’m to the point now where I feel like if I get it out, even if it’s just awful and I never show it to a soul, then at least it will be done and the urge to write the story will be gone. I hope. Or something. I don’t know.

So last night I had a dream that I was at work on a Wednesday and it wasn’t an interesting dream in any way, which is a pretty realistic version of my job. The result was that I woke up this morning thinking it was Thursday. This makes last night’s work dream pretty much the worst dream I’ve ever had. 99.9% of the time I can’t remember my dreams anyway so why didn’t that one vanish? What a crap deal.

Note: I just wrote “carp deal,” which in reality is probably every bit as bad as a “crap deal,” just not as common a saying. I changed it anyway to “crap.” Isn’t it exciting to get an inside look at the way this fabulous blog is put together?

Disneyland was a good time, of course. So our tickets were perhaps less than what is strictly, oh what’s the word? Legal? Yes, that’s it. Not exactly legal. Still, they worked for us. It was reasonably crowded in the afternoon but not busy at all in the morning and we had a good run of getting on every ride we wanted to without having to wait much at all. We walked straight onto Splash Mountain without a wait at all. Good times. We all especially enjoyed the new Buzz Lightyear ride, and the Tower of Terror remains awesome. Good times all around.

I guess that’s it for now. I didn’t really have any point here, but aren’t you pretty used to that now?

Peace out, homies.

1 comment:

Lisa Armsweat said...

Matt, I am in exactly the same situation. I started off with a bang, and then... nothing. I just can't sit down and write! Too much other stuff to do. and I can't let my house fall into shamble because I am putting it up for sale in a few days. Figures I would pick the month to sell my house as the same month I sign up for NaNo.

I decided not to get stressed out on this one. I only have a little over 5,000 words, but they are GOOD 5,000 words and I can pick this up and make my own NoWriMo (see, I left off the National part, ahHA!) this winter to finish it when I have the time again. If it becomes stressful, it just ain't fun for me anymore, and why do something that isn't fun?

Either way, I do wish you content and luck with whatever you decide to do. Write or not, it's still a good life. :)