Monday, November 28, 2005

Read this first, then watch me rant like a lunatic.

I've no desire to actually start an abortion debate here, but I hope you'll understand my point here isn't about abortion itself. My point is simply how abhorent it is to ask kids to do something like this. I don't care what the cause is. Doesn't matter if I agree with the cause or don't agree with it. Doesn't matter if everyone on Earth agrees with the cause. It's just wrong to make your kids do something like this.

Kids don't have political opinions. They just don't. They're kids. That's the whole beauty of being a kid.

I'm not trying to tell you that kids aren't actually much smarter than we usually give them credit for -- hell, I just got back from a vacation where I was hangin out with various cousins of mine ranging in age from 7-11 and I think all of them were smarter than me. But they don't have political opinions. They're kids. That's not their world.

If they have political opinions it's not from any fundamental understanding of the issues, it's because Mom & Dad have drilled it into them. And that's sad enough, but what kind of parent makes their little girl go out in the freezing cold Chicago winter and picket a doll store? Sorry, it just disgusts me.

No comments: