Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dear Pearl Jam,

Thanks for the really great new album. I mean, I’ve been a big fan of all your stuff but there’s an energy to this new stuff that is special. I can see why you’re excited about sharing it, being more visible in the press, and all that. So thanks.

Having said that, and without wanting to be rude, let’s talk about something you really have to do.

See, the penultimate song on your new record (“Come Back”) is one of the most amazing things you’ve ever written. I was happy to see that the song made its live debut the other night at Irving Plaza. But … mid-set? What’s that all about?

I mean, you would never play Yellow Ledbetter randomly in the middle of a set, right? So why do it with Come Back, seeing as it’s so obviously such a perfect “last song”? You’ve probably already thought of this, though. You’re all very good at what you and when it comes to putting on a concert no one is better. Maybe this is already in the works for tonight’s set. You know, Ed, how you’ll say something like, “Thanks for coming. We hope you’ll all come back tomorrow night so we can do this again.” How you’ll let Mike just go off on a ridiculous solo, then bring back Ed with the little woos and “Come Back! I’ll be here!” with the crowd singing those lines right along, really feeling it. Maybe the band will even leave the stage while Mike is still playing (the way you sometimes do with YL) and the crowd will keep singing and Mike will keep kicking their asses.

Won’t that be an especially perfect closer for the first show of a two-night stand in a given city? I thought so. But you wouldn’t even have to limit it to that. One of the genius things about Yellow Ledbetter is that it’s not just a great musical way to say goodbye – the whole “I don’t wanna stay” thing is poignant. “Come Back” could be equally poignant, reassuring. As fans we often wait 2, 3, even 4 years between shows in our hometowns. Why not at least thank the fans for such patience with a simple request like this at the end of some shows?

As I said, though, I’m sure you’ve already thought about this. I’m really looking forward to it. (In San Diego.)

Thanks again. Great song. Great record.

Sincerely,

Everyone with ears

PS

If you decide you want to use it as a set closer or as the last song in an encore break I won’t be too upset. Just for variety’s sake.

2 comments:

brianna said...

Dear Matt,

Thank you for using the word "penultimate" in your letter. It made me smile.

Sincerely,
Brianna

Matthew said...

It's such a good word!