Thursday, May 04, 2006

Golf and Dads

Earl Woods, Tiger’s dad, died yesterday after years of pretty extreme sickness and prostate cancer.

I’m not usually a big fan of parents, like Earl Woods, who really press their kids toward some potential professional career. The father of Venus and Serena Williams, for example – or Jennifer’s Capriati’s parents – may have produced well-known star athletes, but you have to wonder how many kids out there had the same lack of a childhood due to that kind of parent and yet will never achieve any sort of fame at all. But Tiger’s dad, for all his faults and bad quotes, seemed to be a genuinely good guy, and I’m sad to learn of his death.

Maybe I forgive him because it seems (to the extent that anyone on the outside can know) that Tiger himself is a phenomenally well-adjusted person. I think it’s a great compliment to any parent to have a child turn out to be as composed and articulate as Tiger is – never mind how much harder it is to be well-adjusted when you’ve lived a life under such intense scrutiny as Tiger has.

Tiger is only in his early 30s – I think he may actually have just turned 30, but I’m not sure – so this is still a young age to lose a parent. His dad has been sick for years, and this is no surprise, but it still has to be hard.

Over his career, Tiger has often been accused of lacking emotion – which I think is completely ridiculous – but even if it were true I don’t think any son could have sat unmoved through the victory speech he gave after winning The Masters last year. He plainly choked up and nearly cried as he recalled that every previous time he had won the tournament his father had been there with him – 2005 was the first year he was not. And Tiger, barely able to get the words out, said he couldn’t wait to get home to give his dad a hug, then quickly thanked the crowd and walked away. It is to me a moment as defining and wonderful in his career as any of the many great shots he’s hit and putts he’s holed.

So, I’m very sad for Tiger today.

But, as a fan, I’m also very intrigued. Golf is one of those few games that you can excel at by sheer force of will. Even the player who doesn’t have all parts of his game working can win if he wants it more than the other guy. Tiger has proved this himself often enough (and it helps that even when he doesn’t have his A game that he’s still as good or better than anyone else talent-wise). He hasn’t won a major since that Masters last April. For Tiger, that actually counts as a long drought.

I think that “drought” is going to end, though, in a big way. In 2000 I was lucky enough to get to attend some of the US Open at Pebble Beach – when Tiger broke every conceivable record winning by such a ridiculous margin that you’d have thought he was playing a different course. I frankly expect the same thing at this year’s US Open. That is, I don’t just expect him to win, I expect him to embarrass everyone else in the field. And the same thing at the British Open in July, the PGA in August, etc etc. I’m just telling you now: Look out.

No comments: