Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It Takes Two

I generally write for myself and really no other reason. I don't expect to be published. Though it's something I aspire to, it's so unlikely for even a good writer that it's not a priority. I write when I want to write and when I have a story I want to tell, and that's about it.

But Thoreau has told us that, "It takes two to speak the truth -- one to speak, and another to hear." I write for myself, yes, but it's not only about shouting into the abyss. So, I now have another blog, where I will post stories or other things I might be writing. I encourage and hope for your comments, though I don't expect you to read any of it if you don't want to.

But if you do: Please, make your way to The Perpetual Carnival.

2 comments:

Lisa Armsweat said...

I read your story earlier this week, and I am finally responding. I liked it, and I admire your fiction voice! Although I must admit to not liking the main character a lot due to her choices and stuff-- but then again, I RESPECT her choices. That's the difference. I think you did a good job of staying true to a character right through to the ending, and I also loved your San Francisco details.
In fact, I suppose something must have really stuck in your descriptions of the city because the other night I dreamed about being there again, and I attribute it directly to reading this story. Weird, right?!
Anyway, keep on writin'. You've got some good shit there! :)

Matthew said...

Thanks for that, Lisa.

Personally, I don't like the character (or anyway her choices) much, either. To me, that's the point of the story. But I don't want to be a moralist and I don't ever like to judge a character within a story. But I consider it aa compliment that you disliked and respected her because at least that means you found her believable. So thanks.

I must tell you I can't wait for November so you can start writing and posting your story. Sounds like such a fun idea. I'm signed up for NaNoWriMo, but haven't decided whether I'm going to stick with the rules and staart a whole new thing or if I'm just going to try to write 50,000 words in the book I've been working on. I guess I have a week to decide.